Gabriola Soccer Association
Coach, Assistant Coach and Manager Code of Conduct
The GSA’s Codes of Conduct establish a clear set of guidelines for the coach, player and parents/guardians. Its primary goal is to help ensure that soccer is a fun, positive and enjoyable experience.
As a Coach, Asst. Coach or Manager of a Gabriola Soccer team, I agree to do the following:
- At or prior to the beginning of the season, I will hold a meeting with the players’ parents to provide information on the season including (but not limited to) how I intend to conduct team training, what my expectations are of the players, team activities, tournaments and the like.
- I will treat players, parents, officials and other GSA members fairly regardless of gender, ethnic background, colour, sexual orientation, religion, political belief or economic status.
- I will not ridicule or yell at my players for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that soccer players play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will remember that players need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- I will direct my players to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
- I will ensure that all my players get equal instruction and support. They will get equal and fair playing time in accordance with established GSA policies.
- I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices remembering that my players may have other interests and obligations.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
- I will refrain from the use of profane, insulting, harassing or otherwise offensive language while coaching. I will refrain from public criticism of fellow coaches, parents, and officials.
- I will at no time become intimately and/or sexually involved with my players. This includes requests for sexual favours or threat of reprisal for the rejection of such requests made to players or their parents. Verbal or physical behaviours that constitute harassment or abuse to players or parents are unacceptable.
- I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the players’ ages and abilities.
- I will ensure that GSA equipment provided to my team is satisfactorily looked after, and I will promptly advise the GSA Equipment Manager of any problems or deficiencies with this equipment. I will also promptly return this equipment.
- I will ensure that at least one representative from my team attends the GSA Annual General Meeting, and I will ensure that I read and understand the GSA Bylaws and Policies and Procedures.
Name of Coach, Manager or Assistant Coach: ____________________________________________________